Sometimes we lose our personal items such as bags, certificates, keys, documents and wallets all the time. In trying to retrieve our lost items, we are sometimes required to file a police report and depose to an affidavit of loss in court. A lot of people often find this very confusing and don’t know where to begin. Hopefully this blog will guide to in the right direction.
Note that a police report can only be filled at the Police Station and no other person is licensed or capable of giving you a police report. An Affidavit on the other hand can only be sworn to at a court before a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public. Find below a sample of an Affidavit of Loss, which can be modified to suit your particular situation. Please note that all the facts stated in this sample affidavit are fictitious.
IN THE HIGH COURT OF LAGOS STATE
IN THE LAGOS JUDICIAL DIVISION
HOLDEN AT LAGOS
AFFIDAVIT OF LOSS
I, Funke Halima Igwe, Female, Christian, Nigerian of 217, Aso Rock Crescent, Sapele, Ikeja, Lagos State, hereby depose to this affidavit and state as follows;
1. I am the above named person.
2. I am a banker with Placement Bank Plc at the Surulere branch.
3. On the 3rd of March, 2016, while returning home after close of work, I lost my wallet and didn’t realise until i arrived at my house.
4. The lost wallet contained my Work ID card, Driver’s license, and Bank ATM Card.
5. It has become necessary to depose to this affidavit for the record.
6. I depose to this affidavit in good faith, believing same to be true, and in accordance with the Oaths Law of Lagos State.
Dated this day of 2016
Sworn to at the High Court
of Lagos State Registry, Lagos
this day of 2016.
COMMISSIONER FOR OATHS